Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ask Me Wednesday Thursday



Happy Thursday, Peeps.
I worked all day yesterday and then hung out with A & M and the boys until I came home and fell alseep. Thus, today is now "Ask Me Thursday". It's a good thing you're pretty used to this, huh?

Tomorrow I have MOPS in the morning and then am heading out for a wedding this weekend, in which Daughters 2 & 3 are singing. I plan to take my mini video camera and record every lovely song bird second, so hopefully that will go as planned and then I can share it with you!

I will now answer yesterday's questions and then leave you with one to discuss, per usual.



kikibibi said...
J - do you ever watch the Biggest Loser? OMG it's on right now and I am totally bawling!

Hi Kiki ---
Nope, don't watch it. My mom does, though, so when she's over here I'll watch it with her.
I hope you had enough Kleenex!!!!


RJ said...
As I drink a diet coke, following on from a morning Latte, I have a question for AMW.

When did you allow your children to drink Coke, tea and coffee?

We were raised with "Coke rots your guts, my grandfather used it to strip the rust off a nail" so it was absolutely OUT for us until we started spending our own money and went to university. Our mother was a health-food nut anyway so we didn't have fizzy drinks (what you would call soda) in the house, except for Dad's drinks cabinet supply for guests. Lemonade (US=Sprite) was a special treat - no more than once a week, more like Birthdays and Christmas.

My parents drank tea, rather than coffee too. We generally didn't want tea, but were allowed really weak tea when little - mostly milk with a dash of tea.

As children my mother had enough milk delivered for the family that each child would drink a pint of milk a day, so we normally had milk

Anyway - what was your family rule on soda/coffee/caffeine?

Hi RJ --
It was quite a while before we let the kids drink sodas, and then only non-caffeine drinks. I'm sure the older kids were older than the younger ones before we cracked on this. It wasn't until each child was in middle school that we'd let them drink soda on a school night (unless it was Sprite) and then it was only if we were going out to eat or something special. I didn't keep it in the house.
If I keep it here now the 2 boys drink it like water, which I hate, but like so many things I have relaxed way too much on.
The only time they drank coffee was when they went off to college. None of them ever asked about it and I don't think the older ones drink that much of it.
Good question.


p said...
AMW:
Has your dentist ever commented on the inside of your mouth from your chewing? Have you talked to either dr or dentist about it, and do they have any advice? Yes, I'm guilty of it too.

Hi p ....
No, he hasn't. It seems to be something I've only started since Jim died and I must not do it much before an appointment because he hasn't noticed. But he has noticed something else I've evidently started ..... grinding my teeth at night. sigh ......
So I need to go in and get fitted for one of those things to sleep with ..... wonder what the odds are of swallowing/choking on it during the night?!


Anonymous said...
Did you ever take a child out of an extra-curricular activity due to time/money?
Lisa B.

Hi Lisa....
Yes .... I had a nervous breakdown one year when the kids were in way too many activities and we had to take them out of some things, which rightfully upset them, but when we sat down with them and explained how Mommy was going totally insane with all of the running around they seemed to understand. We then limited how many activities each child could do. At that time they were doing a couple of sports each and a music lesson. Multiply that times 6 and you get one certifiably insane mom.



Anonymous said...
Do you think you'll make any major lifestyle changes once all of your kids are off at school? Have you thought that far ahead?

Hi Anon ....
No, I haven't really thought much into the future. It's still too painful to do that. I imagine there will be some changes .... maybe I'll travel more, especially since the odds are good that they'll live all over the country. But other than that ..... the future is still too grey and foggy and painful ...... for now anyway.
But it's a great question. : )




Angie said...
Have any of your kids seem to have zero motivation? Our 19 year old son seems to have no motivation in life? He doesn't know what he wants to do with his life. Isn't in college but is working full time with his dad (who complains about how little motivation he has at work too). I'm not sure that I'd call him "lazy" but he's sitting close to that line. He's still living at home but thinks he should be allowed to come and go as he pleases. I wonder if making him get a place of his own or paying us rent will motivate him any....any thoughts?
Also, not a question, just a statement....You amaze me!! I check in daily, even though I've only commented once. A few weeks ago when you wrote about having to let certainly friends go touched me more than you could ever know. I've been there for about 3 months, so your words meant a lot to me.
Take care.

Hi Angie .... thanks for your kind words and for reading. :)
Our middle son was so hugely unmotivated that I sent him to military school last year. It did wonders for him, though now that he's back at our regular high school I sometimes wonder if he'll slip back into that. I hope and pray that he doesn't. He still seems much more motivated than he used to be.
As for making your son get a place of his own ..... I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I think that's what I'd do. Or at the very least I'd make him pay rent.
And as far as coming and going as he pleases .... he is living in your house and he needs to obey your rules. If he were at college he wouldn't have a curfew (and so my college kids don't have one when the come home, but they do have to call and give me an approximate time to expect them ... just out of respect). But since he's not in college a curfew would be appropriate ... maybe that would be some extra motivation to light a fire under him. Just a thought. : )
Good luck. Parenting is SO hard ..... sigh.


Anonymous said...
Hi Janine, I might be a little late for AMW so you can answer next week if that works. My question is how do you handle the house rules when your kids come home from college? My son has just started school 5 hours away and will only be coming home about every 6 weeks. I know he has total freedom where he is right now which I am okay with (What I cannot see cannot hurt me LOL). I feel that when he comes home our house rules still apply. I don't go to my mother's house and ignore her wishes and I am 44! I think no matter how old you are or what your living arrangements are you are still required to respect other people's rules - it is disrespectful. I am preparing for the first homecoming because I know this will come up. It came up before he left with "in a few days I will be able to do whatever I want".
Thanks
Kim

Hi Kim,
Well, you probably read my answer to Angie about curfew.
Other than that, the same rules apply in my home. The kids have to help with the dishes when they're home, they do their laundry, clean their rooms, take out the trash, etc. Everything they did when here full time they still do.
You are absolutely right about this being a matter of respect, no matter your age. It's your home and he is still your son, thus a member of the family who still has responsibilities .... unless he wants to pay for college and everything else in his life on his own! :)


Thanks again, Peeps.
This has been a good week.

And now I'll leave you with something to discuss:

Tell me the name of your favorite movie of all time ..... and why.

There you go ..... now discuss amongst yourselves.
:)

17 comments:

Kirsten said...

French Kiss: it's such a great, quirky romantic comedy. Plus I LOVE france.

Casey said...

Hi- I've never commented before and I don't even know how I have stumbled upon your blog. I just wanted to say that I really admire you and my heart aches for you sometimes with the situation in life you've been given! I just wanted to let you know that I pray for you and I really enjoy reading your blog!

And yes, my favorite movie of all time is Troop Beverly Hills...I was like 5 when it came out and I have seen it hundreds of times and a lot of people make fun of me for it :) Second favorite- Jurassic Park because I am a science geek!

Thanks for being you and allowing us to share in your life!

~Casey

kdawnmartin said...

My question didn't make it and I commented after RJ. Must have not made it through. Oh well, life goes on! My favorite movie of all time is a tough one, there are so many to choose from but I guess it would have to be Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Shocker huh! I could watch that movie everyday and laugh just as hard as I did the first time.

Love you so much my sweet dear sister! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Two weeks from today!!! Woot!

Angie said...

Thanks for the answer!!! My thinking was right in line with yours and yes, Parenting is SOOOOO hard!
Favorite Movie- probably The Grinch with Jim Carey....
Have a wonderful weekend!!!

kikibibi said...

My favorite movie of all time will be "Janine's Story" whenever that comes out. You are an inspiration in your REAL-ness!

Until that day, "Steel Magnolias" tops my list. The deep friendship and love shared among women of disparate circumstances sings to me!

Janine said...

Dawn,
what did you ask?

Anonymous said...

My daughter is 16 and has a smart mouth. What are some of the ways you handle a smart mouth, and how do you get the smart mouth to shut up. I want to slap the mouth, but my husband says NO. I have come to understand why there is child abuse (just kidding... sort of.) Please address on your next Q&A day. Thanks and God Bless.

Nat said...

My favorite movie is Forrest Gump.
The innocence and kindness of Forrest and his unconditional love for Jennie really moves me every time I watch it.
However, Toy Story is my favorite animated movie-Buzz Lightyear is so hot!

Amanda said...

Hi Janine!
How can I possibly pick one movie??? Eeny, meeny, miney, mo....
The A&E Pride & Prejudice.

But I think of the movies that remind me of my childhood...The Princess Bride, Singin' in the Rain, The Music Man, Fiddler on the Roof.

And movies that I just love, like Much Ado About Nothing, The Last of the Mohicans, What a Girl Wants (what can I say, I watch it for Colin Firth? LOL)...

And the classics that I love...White Christmas, Holiday Inn, High Society, The Quiet Man, The Rare Breed...

Sheesh, now I just want to curl up and watch movies all day! I'm telling the kids its your fault if they don't get fed today! :)

Janine said...

Amanda,
I LOVE each one of those movies!!!! Princess Bride .... sigh....
Colin Firth ...... double sigh ......

Anonymous said...

I like too many movies to have an absolute favorite, but one that has consistently been on my favorite list for a very long time is LAURA with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews.

Love you,
Ann

kdawnmartin said...

my questions was...What movie is this line from..."*I'll take this here bag of huggies...and what ever cash ya got in the register" Name of actor and movie title please. (Line might not be word for word but its close)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I could never nail down only one favorite movie. I have several on a list that I can fall to depending on the day and mood. Pretty Woman and Steel Magnolias are up there as is Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. I also love Shawshank Redemption, Love Actually, and White Christmas. I really enjoy all of the Pirates of the Carribean movies but mostly because of the hotness level of Johnny Depp. He also has something to do with my love of Chocolat, but the theme is great as well. The Ocean's movies are fun (11,12, and 13) and the eye candy is an added bonus. Mr. Majorium's Wonder Emporium is a great children's movie that made me cry and I could watch over and over except that my children now complain when I turn it on. They used to love it as well. We went to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs yesterday though and it could be a new children's favortie at our house. You know of my food love though and giant pancakes falling from the sky could have influenced my vote. I could go on and on because movie watching is one of my absolute favorite things to do.

Janine said...

Oh good grief ..... do better than that!!!
Nicolas Cage, "Raising Arizona". You might as well written "DIP TET!! DIP TET, Hi!!!!!"
:)

Kim said...

I love lots of movies. most of the ones Tamara mentioned are on my favorite list.
However, My favorite movie of all time is ....I don't have to tell you. You know this answer. "Don't you hate Perry's wife?"

why is Arthur my favorite movie of all time? because it makes me laugh sooooo hard my stomach hurts. it is a great escape from life sometimes, pop in arthur, pour a glass of wine, order some chinese......no worries for two hours. Just a great ab workout =D

We need to have an arthur night!!!!

"You must have really hated that moose!"
Love, K

Janine said...

Kim,
We DO need an Arthur night. You made me laugh out loud with those 2 lines.
"Of course, you can't count on that light."

OK .... plan it, and let's do it.
Soon.
Love you.

Kim said...

=D "...... I await your next sylable with great eagerness"

Okay....I'm on it! Love you too.K


and Nat....I've never really thought of Buzz lightyear that way, I think I'm more a Woody gal ;-) however....Toy story and Toy Story II are my favorite animated movies. Toy story III is coming out summer 2010!!!!!!