Monday, October 5, 2009

Mean Mom is Back!!!

Yes, it's true. After a 22 month hiatus, she's back. The meanest mom in our community woke up here this morning and I couldn't be happier.
One of the rules in our house has always been, "You miss the bus ..... you'd better start walking."
Well, Mean Mom wasn't here when Son #2 missed his bus the first day of school .... and his new school is about 5 miles away, so he couldn't realistically walk there, or ride his bike, and get there soon enough to count. So I took him.
But today I was awakened (from the first deep, sound sleep I've had in 5 nights) by Son #3 to ask if I'd take him to school ..... 30 minutes after he was supposed to catch the bus. I opened my mouth and suddenly heard Mean Mom saying, "No. Call a friend. Or start walking or ride a bike." I think Son #3 was just as surprised as I was to hear her voice.
Only I was thrilled.
Him? Not so much.
So he tried to make several calls and then Mean Mom had a thought and called out from the bedroom .... "Do NOT call another mom!!". He sounded a bit bummed when he said, "Ok."
The boy is notorious for calling other moms, who usually help him out. Mean Mom needs to have a serious talk with all of them.
Anyway, off he went ..... already late for school, on his bike.
I think I/Mean Mom may have done a little happy dance at the sight.

I'm glad she's back.
I hope she stays.


6 comments:

kdawnmartin said...

I soooooo need to take lessons from you!!!!!! Love you tons! Had a great time....can't wait til the 21st!!!!!!

Lynn said...

Way to go, Janine! They need to learn lessons the hard way sometimes for it to really sink in. I have long -- and proudly -- been a "mean mom," if that means making kids take responsibility for themselves and laying down rules with consequences. You go, girl!

Amanda said...

Good for you, Janine!

From a fellow Mean-Mom. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm estatic to see Mean Mom again! She has helped me quite a bit over the years.


Lisa B.

Jeri said...

I love it Janine! I am right there with you. I think us single parents (hate those words) are tougher on our kids than the 2 parent households, dont you???

Anonymous said...

Wow Janine - I did not know Moms still did that or that others thought it was OK! I am on your side

Saundra