Thursday, December 13, 2012

I'd Love to Tell You ......

...... that my last post was just an example of a rare day in my life.

However, the truth ..... is far uglier.

Unfortunately that kind of rabbit hunt is part of my daily life. Sometimes it's not as extended as that day, sometimes it can extend into the next day.
Or month.

Some call it "Widda Brain".
Some call it "Menopause" or "Peri-Menopause".
Some call it "Getting Old".
Some call it "ADOS".
"Attention Deficit .... Oh, Shiny"!!

I just call it, "I'm losing my mind."

In other news (because really, the fact that I'm losing my mind isn't actually "news"), this is our Christmas tree this year.
Only because no one who lives in this house has shown any motivation whatsoever to decorate this house (meaning me, Son #3 .... or my cat, which is no huge surprise).


This is a wrought iron tree I bought through some catalog a couple of years or so ago.  I used it as a second and very different Christmas tree that year.  Then I took it apart and put it away.
Then about a year and a half ago I decided to get it out and use it year round.  So I put it in the family room, went to Hobby Lobby and bought round ornaments of all colors and seasonal representations, and voila ..... a year round decorative tree.  In June and July it has red, white and blue striped balls (ornaments) on it.  Around Easter it has pastel ornaments.  When school starts it has bright primary colored ornaments.  In the fall ..... fall colored ornaments.

A couple of weeks ago Son #3 approached me and asked, "We're not going to get all of the Christmas decorations down, are we?"
To which I replied, "I'm not."
He seemed a bit surprised by my answer.  I think he was expecting me to get upset and beg him to help me drag everything down from the attic.
Surprise!
Then he said that he could help me get "some" things down.  I told him to knock himself out.  Surprise again.
So far he's made no trips up the stairs.
(I went up once this weekend and picked out about 5 - 10 decorations.  About 1/64th of what we actually have.  And I didn't even need an ounce of restraint.  It was very easy to resist hauling down a ton of boxes.  Very.)

Later that day I decided to move the iron tree into the living room, where we usually put the Christmas tree.  Our pre-lit tree that's on wheels, folds down and stores in a bag, in our garage.
It's not all that difficult to get out.  But once you get it out, and then set it up ...... you have to decorate it.
And I just don't have it in me to spend a couple of hours doing that.
By myself.

And so I didn't.

But I did put the round Christmas ornaments on it and then went to CVS and buy some cheap white lights that blink in different patterns.  I put those on the iron tree and set them to fade in and out.  Which makes taking a picture of them kind of tricky.  You have to catch them either all lit up, which makes the tree look invisible except for the lights, or catch them all faded out, which shows an iron tree that looks a bit on the pathetic side.
But hey, it was easy ...... and I like it.

I'm thinking that children 1 through 5 aren't going to think it's all that hot.
And if they don't, I will tell them one thing:
"Knock yourself out."
:)

Happy Thursday, Peeps.
:)

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

Christmas decorations are way overrated...have not had any in several years. Do I miss them? No!

BAK said...

We have a real Christmas tree, only because my son who will be leaving for the military shortly after Christmas wanted one. It just has lights on it right now. Will have to go to storage to get some of our ornaments but no other decorations this year. Too much going on. I love your tree. Next year I will just have my little "Jesus" tree - simple and to the point. Wishing you a blessed Christmas.

Beth said...

love your tree. Very different, but still appeals to me. I just don't have it in me either to do much.

The first year we had a tree. Lights, but no ornaments, the kids wanted the tree, but nothing else. The second year they did not want a tree at all. But we decorated the yard, which we NEVER did (Dave would have never wanted the electric bill for that one - frugal man that he was!!!!!)

Last year we put up the tree, but went to Target and purchased new ornaments, all silver and blue. They didn't want to use the "regular" ones (still too many memories I guess). This year, tree is up. I had about 2 dozen ornaments on it,back to our "regular ones" the only ones I found so far as I unpack. But our new cat has decided it is his personal playground and spends all day climbing it and tearing off the ornaments. So we are down to about 2. By tomorrow we are apt to be back to lights only. Fine by me..... So, your tree seems perfect to me!

We also still put up the stockings. But that is it. No other inside decorations. Don't have it in me, but the kids don't want it either. And we only did the yard that one year. We do put wreathes on his tree and bench on the bike path tho. We all seem to have more fun decorating for Dave then for our own home.

Anonymous said...

The problem with decorations is you put them up, then have to take them down. Not doing that in my house either, other than a couple of strands of lights. Last year, one stayed up until August until the suction cups lost their adhesion to the window. I was hoping it would last the whole year! Love your tree.