Well, it's Wednesday again. Thank God I remembered it!First of all, thank you to all of you who commented about that dang show, the name of which shall forever be banned from my blog ...... well, at least by me ..... you can write about it all you want.
I'm relieved that I'm not alone in my rage and revulsion.
For those of you who are burning to know how my doctor visit went today .... all 2 of you .....
it was OK.
All of my meds have been tweaked and we both decided to ditch the Ambien, since it was having a "rebound" effect. So yay for that.
Unfortunately ..... we were both shocked to see what my "medicated" cholesterol was. She read the number, I said, "WHAT?!!?, and she asked, "Is this really your chart?!" and looked at it again.
It was higher than it has ever been ..... shockingly higher than it was 6 months ago.
In her words, "This is what you'd call a very bad result."
Yay for me.
Interestingly enough ..... stress causes an increase in cholesterol. I am amazed that I have not dropped dead of a heart attack.
So we switched to another med and will check it again in 5 weeks.
Now on to more pleasant things ..... the questions..............
Melanie asked the first question:
How do Daughters #2 & #3 like their school?
Well, if I had to take a guess ..... I would say they love it. Very much. But I will let them respond (if they have time to read this ..... they are hugely busy right now getting ready for a show this weekend and next) by commenting and telling you themselves.
Oh .... and it's a pretty easy drive ..... only about 3 1/2 hours (depending on who's driving!).
Carrie came in next:
What did you feed your kids when they were toddlers? My 14-mo old likes to eat hot dogs & chicken nuggets & French toast & refuses "real" chicken & ground beef. I just feel like I'm feeding him "junk" when I give him those toddler foods every day ... how did you deal with this???
Trying to pick out the cobwebs here ....... and remembering waaaaay back when .....
All of our kids went to "real" food at a pretty early age in toddlerhood. None of them seemed to really like the baby foods and I, frankly, couldn't wait to stop buying it, packing it every time we left the house, and just dealing with it in general.
And, though this is difficult for some people to do ..... they ate what we ate. Jim and I were firm believers in "our home is not a diner and so you can't order something different off of the menu". Of course, on the nights when he was out of town or gone for dinner, I'd make mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, fish sticks .... the regular "kid food". All of you "mother earth" mothers should just stop reading this right now. Really.
They all loved Spaghettios (which I hated because they stain clothes big-time!), hot dogs, baked Cheetos (also hugely messy ..... I learned, after one child, to strip them down to their diapers before giving them certain foods), peanut butter sandwiches, grilled cheese sandwiches, McDonald's cheeseburgers ..... you know, all of the healthy wonderful foods that will most certainly give them reason to add a whole chapter in their books about how I poisoned their bodies ---- especially Daughter #1, who is now a vegetarian). Many of them now do not like the foods they liked when they were young.
But when we were all together for dinner .... they ate whatever I fixed ..... or, in the case of one or two of them ..... they did not eat. They never starved, interestingly enough, and most of them learned to try new things and to not always be so picky (most of them).
It's a struggle, I know. But I'm not sure that any child has ever starved to death because they refused to eat what was put before them. They seem to "come around" after a meal or two (or four).
That probably wasn't much help, Carrie .... was it?
Wendee asks:
How did you first know you really loved Jim when you guys were dating?
Ahhhhhhhh, I wish I could give you a solid, by the book, black and white answer. But I can't.
We had a rocky start, but then started seriously dating after about 4 months of "regular" dating . After 2 more months of really getting to know each other, really getting closer, really feeling excited about seeing each other every single day (our senior year in college) ..... he took me back to my sorority house one night, we kissed (for the sake of my children I won't say we made out or anything like that), and he just said it. He said, "I love you". And I just knew, in that very instant, that I loved him, too ..... and told him so. Neither of us had ever said that to another person we dated. Neither of us had ever truly been in love before. But we knew. I don't know how we knew ...... we just knew (well, yes I do .... God let us know).
So there ya go.
And thank you, Wendee ..... very, very much for the memory.
It. Is. Wonderful.
Marilyn asked:
How and where did Jim propose?
Sigh ..... also not a very black and white answer. Towards the end of our senior year (about the time of our one year anniversary) he started looking for a ring, but didn't tell me.
We had talked about marriage for a few months and knew that we would marry ..... he just hadn't formally asked me.
Evidently he looked for quite some time and then became very frustrated because he couldn't find THE ring.
And so one day, while we were out shopping, he led me into a jewelry store and told me that had really wanted to surprise me with a ring, but he couldn't find the right one. He wanted me to pick one out.
The very first ring I saw ..... I loved. And when the guy pulled it out of the case Jim said, "That's exactly what I was looking for!!".
And so he bought it.
And then we went to my parent's house so that he could take my dad aside and formally ask him for my hand. And then they both came in and we told my mom. And then, a little later in the evening, he and I were alone in a room and he said, "You know, I never really proposed to you." And I said, "No, you didn't. You seem to be assuming quite a lot."
He dropped to one knee and proposed.
And I said ..... "Of course."
Thank you, too, Marilyn.
My friend Julie very rudely asks:
How many beads did you come home with (from Mardi Gras)?
Well, we came home with many, many, many beads (none of which was earned by the way Julie is broadly hinting!!).
But alas, most of the beads were not truly MY beads. Nope. Not at all.
And ..... he will haunt me for the rest of my days ..... but I am nothing, if not truthful .....
Jim earned those beads.
Yep.
It seemed as if there were lots and lots of men on those floats who took quite a shining to him.
And I will leave it at that.
Except to say ...... he was NOT amused.
But the rest of us thought it was HI-LAR-I-OUS!!!!
RJ asked how long I'd be able to keep "The Dress" in the closet before my daughters will borrow it.
Well, as Daughter #3 has already indicated ... we are not exactly built the same. She and her twin have amazing figures. And they are taller than me .... by quite a bit.
So they will most likely not be borrowing it.
However, Daughter #1 (who is built like me) will most certainly be stealing it out of my closet as soon as she returns from Moscow in late May.
And .... still on the topic of "The Dress" ...... Nat asks what color it is.
It's black, though it did look blue in the second picture .... I didn't use the flash for that one, but I'm not sure why that made it look blue.
Harley's World ..... though this wasn't really a question ..... yes, I have seen "P.S. I Love You".
I decided to rent it a couple of months ago ..... felt I was ready to see it.
I loved it.
(And yes .... all 6 of them are Sweethearts!)
OK, it's now 5:30 and I have a meeting in an hour.
As always, I will check the blog when I get home and add any additional questions .... if you ask them.
Have a wonderful Ask Me Wednesday evening.
:)
UPDATE:
OK, it's 9:00 p.m. .......
Kim ...... I need you to explain what Mardi Gras is to our Australian friends. I'm new to it so I don't know how to explain it. I didn't grow up with it, either.
Wendee ..... No, Daughter #1 is not there yet, but she leaves in a couple of weeks.
UPDATE #2:
Susan: I guess I didn't get the question about Son #2, but am glad that you saw his comment on yesterday's post. I am ..... so-proud. Thanks for asking.
Harley's World: Daughter #1 is in grad school at Harvard. She is in a program called Dramaturgy, which is research and writing for Theatre. She loves to write and loves to research .... and loves theatre, especially ancient theatre (I totally take responsibility for this .... and for the love of theatre that Daughters #2 & #3 have, as I was a Theatre major). Anyway, this program includes studying in Russia at the Moscow Theatre in the spring of their first year. She leaves at the end of this month and will come back at the end of May. I'm hoping to go visit her before she leaves.
13 comments:
I live in australia. Can you explain what the Mardi Gras is? And what's with the beads?!
Sharing the memories was wwesome - thanks for making me smile
thinking of you guys! So daughter #1 is already in Moscow? Is she liking it? How cool!
I thought i asked a question for AMW--but i guess it didn't post. Wanted to know how P was doing--then read his note and your response. SO excited that he seems to be doig so well! Praise God for that one--and Hope takes an even stronger foothold!
Oh so you have seen it. I was a bit afraid to be responsible for you seeing it and you getting too upset because it made me cry and I haven't even lost my husband.
Thanks for treating it as a question. I am wondering what your daughter is doing in Moscow though.(I tried to look back and find out but I just don't have the time now with Harley around.) Maybe answer it next week now if you want.
Yes I thought they were all sweethearts. It's plain to see. Lots of young You's and Jim's to make the world a better place. :)
Tell them that a random British woman that reads your blog thinks they are just awesome! Lol!
Glad you talked to your dr. about the whole Ambien thing. Hopefully you are gonna try something else and it will actually work. :)
I went to Mardi Gras one year...and that was enough for me. We showed up at 2:00pm and went to leave at 4:30am and no one could remember where we parked the car. HA! Ooppss.
Will be praying for you.
The root of Mardi Gras in New Orleans reaches back to the history of Greece Rome, and the Christian church. The Greek and Roman influence is observable through the masks and throws they use in the parades and balls. The Christian church established the religious side of Mardi Gras, and the French contributed the name and date on which it is celebrated. "Carnivals started in the middle of the second century in Rome when, y-day fast (Lent) was preceded by many days of feast and voluntary madness." The participants put on masks and clothed themselves like spirits. They gave themselves up to Bacchus and Venus.
Many people have the misconception that Mardi Gras is a celebration a few days before Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent. Actually, the carnival season begins January 6 (Twelfth Night), with local carnival organizations holding balls almost every night until Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras means "Fat Tuesday," started by the French. "Fat Tuesday" received its name by the custom of parading a fat ox through the streets of Paris on Strove Tuesday. Strove Tuesday and Mardi Gras day and the same day. Strove Tuesday is derived from shrive. It refers to the confession of sin, usually in the European middle ages as a preparation for Lent. The Lenten fast is forty days before Easter (excluding Sundays), and is in imitation of Christ's fast in the wilderness. Fish, eggs, meat, and butter are forbidden in eastern churches during the Lent. Now only Ash Wednesday, and Good Fridays are kept as Lenten fast in the west. The two weeks before Mardi Gras Day are filled with parades both day and night, climaxing on Mardi Gras Day with the Rex parade. Carnival organizations in New Orleans are called Krewes. The First krewe was called the "Mystick Krewe of Comus", which began in 1857. The second oldest krewe was started in 1872 and is called "The Krewe of Rex."
The 1960’s ended with the debut of the Krewe of Bacchus. Bacchus aimed to bring national attention to Mardi Gras with gigantic floats and a Hollywood celebrity (Danny Kaye) riding as its king.
There are many traditions and customs accompanying Mardi Gras and carnival season. One of these is the custom of throws. Many hours are spent on the production of beads and trinkets to be given away at the parade. Another tradition is the wearing of masks. This tradition was started back in the ninth and tenth century when peasants would travel from farm to farm to beg for food. The mask protected their identity and dignity. Street masking became common in 1835 as an excuse to participate in the merry making of the day. Every year a king and queen are chosen for the festivities. "The Twelfth Night Revelers, a New Orleans krewe uses the king cake tradition to choose their queen and her court. The artificial king cake holds twelve drawers. Eleven drawers have silver beans in them and the twelfth holds a gold one. The lucky girl choosing the drawer with the gold bean is crowned queen, while the girls choosing the drawers with the silver beans serve as her court. The Cajun king cake contains a red bean, symbolizing planting and harvesting. The man getting the slice of cake containing the bean is king for the day (or week). One more tradition is the balls. Only members of the Krewes and their guests can attend these lavish balls. The “super Krewes” like Rex, Bacchus, and Endemion hold their balls in a venue where the parade can run right through the center of the ball at the end of their run. (like the convention center and the superdome) Mardi Gras is not only celebrated regionally but also internationally, occurring in South America, Europe, and other parts of the world.
Bacchus is the Krewe that JD belongs to- that is the ball we attend. We tend to stay away from the French quarter during mardi gras, except for a Sunday brunch at Brennans!!
As for the beads:the celebration of Mardi Gras beads records all the way back to the 1840's. These beads were thrown out as souvenirs to awaiting crowds. The people in these parades dressed as high-class aristocrats and tossed beads and sugar coated almonds. It is believed that the "throwing of the beads" was from the festival customs from the English Renaissance era.
In 1884 (over 100 years ago!), Rex started using medallions instead of trinkets. These medallions are represented by today's doubloons. These doubloons are aluminum and anodized in many different colors. They depict the parade theme on one side and the Krewe's emblem on the other. They have become collector's items.
In the Bacchus parade, the King's float throws doubloons with the image of the Celebrity King on one side of the doubloon. If you're lucky enough to catch one, hold onto it!
Other popular throws include cups (otherwise known as New Orleans dinnerware), long pearl beads and stuffed animals.
Hope that helps!!!!!
I didn't "rudely ask" it was asked in an inquisitive sort of way....now it might have been a rude question but I believe you did say in a much earlier post "ask me anything". So my sister I believe I was given permission! Loved the answer though and it made me smile just trying to invision your amusement with all of the beads being thrown at your husband!
When you get back from your Mardi Gras trip I will want to know your bead count and I probably shouldn't have given you a heads up on that one. Again this is meant to be asked in the nicest way. "Dear sweet Janine how many bead strands happned to be thrown your way?" ( It would help if you could use Tracy Brown's voice when asking the question) You remember that one don't you? High pitched and a little over the top with sweetness!
Oh Girl, I love keeping in touch and remembering our GPB days!
Much love,
Julie
Kim -- Am I mistaken, or did you totally leave out that fact that many drunk, and not so drunk, women will pull their tops up in order to have more beads thrown at them?!
That is NOT how we get our beads, mind you .... you just yell and wave and get them thrown at you. But THAT is what Julie was hinting at (again, broadly) when she asked how many beads I got.
We don't go to those parades, either. As Kim said, we tend to stay away from the French Quarter, where -- rumor has it -- much "merry making" goes on!
I have 2 daughters that refuse to eat meat and I always find it hard to fix a meal that works for everyone...how do you work that? I know I am late so you can save my question for next week.. :)
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question about feeding my son! I totally agree with the 'eat what we eat' philosophy... I just don't know if he's old enough to understand it at 14 months. And he has had problems with reflux that prevented him from eating tacos/spaghetti sauce, but that seems to be getting better & he can now eat pasta & pizza, so that helps. Thanks again for your answer- I do appreciate it! :)
Yeah...my experience of Mardi Gras was MUCH different than the description given above. But I suppose that's because we were in the French Quarter for most of it...from what I remember... ;)
That was a long time ago during the college years. :)
Thank you so much for that very detailed explanation! I guess we're missing out on that a bit here! We have backyard barbies....does that count?
Thanks for answering that. Wow...Harvard! You must be so proud!
Me,hubby and our girls LOVE the theatre. When we lived in England we would go to London's west end a lot and saw all sorts of shows like Phantom of the Opera,Miss Saigon and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Love it!
We saw Phantom again in Vegas last year as it's our fave.
We are hoping to visit our home (England) in the summer and hopefully fit a show in while we are there.
Post a Comment