Tuesday, March 31, 2009

He's Still Protecting Me .....

...... I had intended to come home and write this post (after my doctor visit this morning) so that I would have it done and could start mentally writing the one for "Widow's Voice".
After the visit I don't feel much like writing a post, but I'm forcing myself.

     I love my doctor.  And I love that she's given me so much information.  But .... the information I heard today makes me sick to my stomach and I'm trying really hard to not panic/cry.
     The surgeon's report revealed that he did not get all of the tumor.  He was not able to get it all.  The part of the tumor that was heading into the bone could not be taken.  The margins of the tumor were not clear.  I had thought it was all gone.  
I thought wrong.
So that is why I go for an MRI in 4 months .... to see if this very aggressive, ugly, mean thing has grown back.  It more than doubled in size in a month (which we didn't know until he opened me up) so I'm afraid of what it could look like in 4.  
And because of what it is, and how rare it is, and where it is ..... they will never be able to get it all ...... unless they break my pelvis and take out a large portion of bone .... which he would have done had it come back as definitely positive for cancer.  But it did not.  It is pre-C.  Which means it might not ever become C.
I'm not worried about the C ..... I knew it was pre-C ...... I had no idea the tumor .... or any part of it, was still there.
And I am very afraid of having to go back and have it removed ..... maybe over and over again.
So .... there ya go ...... not a great start to my day.  
Not. At. All.

But .... in other news .... here are some pics of Son #3 at last week's track meet ..... you may have to squint .... my camera phone is not that great.







     And in regards to my title ..... this is a picture of a very old pair of sweat pants:

They are Jim's sweatpants.  They are the last thing that he wore ..... he put them on to wear them to the hospital THAT day.
I wear them often.  Of course they swallow me, but they're very comfortable and they are a part of him.
I'm not sure if you could tell .... but they are in my car.
They've been in my car for a few weeks now.

When I drive, or ride in a car, the seatbelt goes right on top of, and connects against, my left hip .... and my incision.
So I knew that I needed to find something, like a small pillow, to try to be a cushion between my hip and the seatbelt.
As I was walking around the house, looking for something small enough, my eyes fell on these sweatpants.  
And I paused for a moment ..... and then knew they'd be perfect.

So now, when I drive (or ride in a car), here's what Jim's sweatpants do for me:

So every time I get in my car and my eyes fall on those sweatpants ..... I smile.

Because he's STILL protecting me.

:)

See you tomorrow ..... for "Ask Me Wednesday".

24 comments:

susan said...

Oh Janine--I'm soooooo sorry. words don't seem adequate. but just as Jim's sweat pants are still protecting you, so is the God who loves you with an everlasting love. Rest in that love.

Mom said...

Good afternoon my darling daughter. Ok. . .this pretty much sucks and I'm so sorry that you had to hear news like that to start your week. I'm glad you had V there with you. I'm sure it helped somewhat, if anything could. We'll just have to pray that it doesn't return. There. Taken care of. I love you immensely.

kdawnmartin said...

ok, well that just sucks! I saw your comment on FB and came right over here to see if you posted what was wrong. I'm sorry, I love you and that's all I got. Great pics of son#3, he's getting sooo tall. Love that Jim is still protecting you, it made me smile too. Love you tons sis!

Anonymous said...

.........


um....


WHAT!!??!?!?

So this COULD develop into cancer!? And if so, What if it does in the next four months...?!
Why don't they do something SOONER. Last time people told me the Doctors wanted to WAIT.. well, you know, sadly..

Well, I was going to come on here and post a comment about getting a 90 on a History Test, butTHIS bombshelled that into oblivion.

So yeah... B's and C's...

Remember how you and dad always told us that God had blessed our family in "so many ways"? Sometimes I wonder what changed his mind... you know?

- Son #2

Judy said...

Sorry for your news--this sucks BIG TIME! Wish there was some way they could treat it without more surgery--like radiation or something. Oh...I don't know anything about this kind of stuff so I can't help. Wish I had some magic fairy dust to sprinkle on you. I love that Jim is still there helping you.

Anonymous said...

Janine,
I'm so sorry for all that you have been going through. It is one thing after another. I didn't think my heart could break any further than it has, until I read son #2's posting here. Boy do I get where he's coming from. Son #2, congrats on your test score though. Great job! Seems like Jim's sweatpants are just in the right place. I know the comfort you feel when wearing them, I wear my husband's clothes all the time and still sleep with his bathrobe everynight. My thoughts are with you daily and I will be answering your email soon. Hugs to you and your family. Jax (Lorry)

Jill said...

Oh Janine......

I was gasping as I read. That sucks and I despise this for you. Again, I don't know what to say except you are loved by me and obviously many many many others. And Him.

Thanks for sharing the other pictures. They made me smile.

Jill

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, I have only posted a comment once or twice but I check your blog everyday...sometimes several times a day. You have been in my thoughts and prayers.

I had a tumor removed almost 2 years ago in one of my kidneys. Going into the surgery, the doctors told me that they were 90% sure it was cancer but that they could get it all and I would be "cured". It was not until after the surgery that I found out it was an extremely rare form of cancer that will return sometime in the future (maybe many, many more times). The only way to get rid of it is surgery...being cut open starting from the middle of my body to the side of my body. This is something I do not look forward to but I MUST NOT let it control me! I try to only focus on my God, husband, 3 small children, and friends. I try to enjoy every minute God has given me today and don't think about the tomorrows. I won't get back today so I must make the most of it.

I noticed how your son made reference to how y'all were blessed at one time but maybe not so much now (at least that is how I read it) it his comment above. Y'all still are extremely blessed...y'all have love for each other and the promise of heaven.

I know you will continue to praise God in this storm. Storms will pass and brighter days are ahead. You have to believe it. It is called Hope and it is powerful.

Blessings and prayers,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Dear Janine:

I am so sorry for the report from the Dr. The waiting - the wondering - so hard and even more so not having your beloved Jim there. I know, having been through many trials since my George died, how I have longed for him to walk with me through them. It "sucks" - excuse my language. But as always, we must look to the One who promises to never leave us nor forsake us. You are truly blessed with many who love you and your family.

Beth in NC

Unknown said...

O.K.....What?....You found out today the results of your surgery that was weeks ago? I thought after surgery the surgeon comes out and tells your family the results? Didn't you go to the surgeon's office for a follow-up not that long ago? You are just now finding this out? What is wrong with that little medical community..isn't it supposed to be world renowned? M.D. Anderson right? Did you have your surgery at Wal Mart and your surgeon was from Phoenix On Line College (no offense people)?

I'm sorry Janine but the whole thing just seems so very much unacceptable. I mean really this is definitely the bizarre stuff that is made for t.v. movies. Seriously my jaw just dropped reading this post. I just can't believe it.

We pray for you every day and will continue. You might think of a career change as a Patient Advocate at that little hospital...sounds like they could use someone to get some things right. Ugh...

Love you girl and love seeing your spark in your writings.

Julie

Anonymous said...

Dear J,
I was looking for some sewing advice last night and ran across a blog by a woman who had cancer and had been taking chemo. She said something that made me think. The gist was...I'd be glad for you to leave comments which are positive or that let me know I am in your prayers (because that is VERY positive)...but don't say "i'm sorry" because that breeds negativity. She believed very much that a positive attitude was key to her recovery.

I think that there could be something to that. I liked Kathy's comment - sort of a carpe diem attitude.

So I'm going to send you prayer and positive vibes. If anyone can show those cells who the boss is and make 'em stay in their place, it is you!

Speaking of positive - you must be so proud of P - he is sure gettin' it done!

Switching gears - AMW - needlepoint - do needlepoint projects have patterns like crossstitch? The only ones I have seen already have the design on them and you just fill in the background. Which made me wonder what was the point of needlepoint? Seriously, I have wondered for years (sad but true that my mind works this way).

Love you,
AEW

I like Jim's sweatpants - very much.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, often and earnestly.

JB

Lisanne said...

Well carp. That really bites.
Good grief...I dont even know what to say. I'm just kind of mad. I can't explain it...I'm just mad... for you. This is just wrong. {Deep Breath}
P!!! Bs and Cs??? Great job!
You have come SO far and I'm SO proud when I see those pics of you now. You're so dadgummed handsome in that uniform! Your cousins think you're pretty hot!

I love you guys. SO. VERY. MUCH.
I wish I could hug you. Sis, I believe that Jim will always take care of you. He wouldn't have it any other way.

Big hug tonight!
(I haven't been posting as much because the 5 year old is keeping me VERY occupied!)

Lis

Mary Lou said...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read what the doctor said. Then I loved the part with his sweat pants protecting your hip, that is so precious. Since I can't think of the right words to say I will only say that He is in control of everything and your atttiude is not negative and that is going to be used by Him for you. He still loves you and all of yours. He protected you and "found" the rare thing...so I feel He is continuing to protect you. Cling to Him and to the hope that is alone in Him. Keep your focus on Him. Blessings on your day. Praying for the Sonshine of His love to color your day.

Dee said...

I never know what to say ~ so i just give my prayers and a hug. (((HUG))) Dee

Nat said...

I agree with Julie-I cannot believe the surgeon didn't share this information with you. I am trusting that God will heal you and there will be no more pre-C cells in your hip or anywhere else in your body.
Praying continuously.
I love you.

Nat said...

Here is my question-
Why are you relocating your staircase?

Janine said...

Kathy,
Thank you .... not only for reading, but for writing such encouraging words. Thank you for reminding me what to keep my eyes on ...... in spite of the huge amount of fear that sits in my stomach.
THank you, thank you, thank you.
Janine

Janine said...

Long comment ahead:
Susan, Thank you ... even when TANW, you're here.

Mom, From your mouth to God's ears. I love you.

Dawn, Your love is plenty .... you don't need more. I love you.

Son #2: You are wiser than your years (many, but not all, times) and your words made me cry. Yes indeed, we were told to "wait" before ..... and that didn't go so well, did it?
I am so proud of you and of your grades. PLEASE keep up the good work because I NEED you home, very badly.
And yes, your dad and I have always told you how blessed we've been. And, even when it doesn't seem like it (like ... ummmm.. the past 15 months), we are. We can't always feel Him near, but our heads know that He is and our heart will catch up to our heads some days. He's blessed us with friends who surround us with love and prayers. He's blessed you with the motivation you've never had but now are full of. He's blessed all of us with compassion so that we hurt when others hurt (you've always had more of that anyway, but now you have more).
I, too, wonder why God keeps allowing these things to happen, but my beloved Son, I have to realize that we may never have those answers until we get to see him face-to face. Yes, we still get angry and we still ask "why" ... but He's OK with that.
And .... I always knew it "could" become cancer, but that doesn't scare me. I just want the stupid, huge tumor to come back. I don't need another pain in my butt!!! (I've already had at least 6 of you, right?). I love you SO much and can't wait until Parent's Weekend!!!

Judy-- Thanks for saying this sucks. Cuz it does. And thanks for supporting me with your comments.

Jax --- my new friend, thank YOU for seeing past your own sorrow to feel for mine. I'm glad you wear Johnny's clothes .... remind me to tell you about a dream I had about that once. :)

Jill -- Thank you, too, for knowing how much this sucks. You know, better than most and I'm so blessed by your words .... daily. You are SO loved.

Beth -- Thank you for "getting it" and for encouraging me through your grief. And never, ever apologize for using the word SUCKS (as you're probably realized by now!) It became a huge part of my vocabulary on December 18, 2007. It fits very well.

Julie--my wonderful encouraging sister, My surgeon, while being one of the best in the world in what he does, has no bedside manner and is not a communicator. That doesn't excuse him, or his nurses, though. I'm sure that, as he went over the report with me, he assumed I understood it. I had no questions (he did ask that) because I thought I "got it".
I obviously did not.
As for being a Patient Advocate ..... I think I'd kill too many doctors. :)

AEW --- thanks for the positive vibes. The negative ones are good, too, because they let me know that I am being heard. But then they usually turn into positive ones, so I'm OK with that.
And yes ...... so very proud of P.
Thanks, sis.
And glad you like his sweatpants. :)

Mary Lou -- Thanks for the right words .... you always have them .... even when you think you don't. :)

Dee --- Giving prayers and hugs are wonderful things to say!!!!! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

What love in these comments. Sweet protection from Jim, in a soft old pair of pants. Sweet relief from God in the middle of chaos, sweet whispering of God's love through a world full of sinn and pain. May HIS touch wing to you today through many moments of grace. love you, mjd -- 8:10pm

Mom said...

Good afternoon my darling daughter. I just wanted to point out(as I told D last night) that I was sitting with you as the doctor was "explaining" the outcome of your procedure. At no time did I hear him say a thing about not getting all of the tumor. We both left that office safe in the knowledge that it was completely removed. So it wasn't that you didn't hear, it's that he didn't say. He could use a bit of training in "patient communication".
I love you dearly.

susan said...

love your comment back to #2--so glad you choose to see the blessings despite the pain. am reading a book called "radical gratitude" and yours certainly could be a chapter in that book.

now for AMW--could you choose radiation or some other treatment to get those nasty pre-c cells outta there? I know it's not my usual amusing or child-rearing question, but was just wondering.

Anonymous said...

did you see the photos to "how great is our God" on MckMama's blog? Awesome. and the link to the news story? really heartwarming. susan

kim said...

J,
I love you. This news is so ..............horribly perplexing! It was supposed to be gone. I'm going to have to agree with son #2. I'm having a really hard time coming to terms with what has been going on. I really don't understand. I am sorry that I am not one of those people who can come on here and give you some wonderfully encouraging words. I wish I could be. Frankly, I just think this whole thing sucks (sorry) and I just want to stand up on the top of a mountian and scream ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!! STOP!!!!! do you think He will listen? Im begining to wonder?

Son #2.......AWESOME JOB! I am so proud of you, and I can't wait for you to be home. we all miss you very much. and We are all proud of your hard work (we knew you could do it!) So....Mr. D still checks the mail box like a puppy dog every night waiting for a letter from his buddy P. Throw him a bone, would you? Write him a quick note and tell him about your grade. History is his all time favorite subject so he will be so excited! 2118 Mount Forest 77345
P, have fun at parents weekend with your mom! Love you.
J, I love you, very much!Kim