Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Have Survived ...

Well, it's 10:25 p.m. and I have made it through the day.
It was rough.
I cannot lie.
It was very rough indeed.

The morning started off very badly, with Son #3 and I not seeing eye-to-eye on anything.
He was grieving the loss of his dad on this day, but instead of verbalizing that he could only be belligerent.  And I could only get angry and overwhelmed with the loss of Jim.

Not a good way to start the day.

I cried through most of the service.

And I cried very hard during the Confirmation event itself .... when the girls and Son #3 and I went forward to be with Son #3 for his Confirmation blessing.
It was very, very difficult.
He cried.
I cried.
Many people in the congregation cried.

But ..... I survived.
He survived.

And we had a party after church for him.  A friend hosted it at her house ..... two other friends help put it together.

I am blessed with so many wonderful friends who are here for me.
And for my children.

And so ...... it was a good day .... in spite of the pain.
And the loss.
And the huge, empty hole.

The girls and Son #1 left for school after the party.  Son #3 came home to clean up his dump room.

I stayed behind at my friends' house, with another couple and we had a wonderful time .... just hanging out and relaxing.  I did not want to, could not, go home to a quiet house.
So we enjoyed each other's company, grilled steaks, drank wine ..... and just enjoyed each other's company.

So, my last child has been confirmed.
Confirmation is the process of a young person (8th grade in our church) learning what it is to be a Christian, as well as a member of our church, and making the decision to commit to a life of following God and being accountable for his/her spiritual life.

Another "first" ..... as well as a "last".

An emotional day.

I have been sad ..... and yet blessed.

I miss him so much ...... and yet I know he's with us ..... and he's proud ..... and joyful for Son #3.

Tomorrow I go with my friend to the medical center for  her son's surgery on his finger.

And then I have my last "Grief Share" for this group.

A big day.

A long day.

And hopefully .... a good day.

Thanks for your prayers.  I have no doubt that they helped me.

Here are some pictures from the day:
          
                          This is our pastor/my adopted older brother, Son #1, my adopted nephew, Son #3, me, Daughter #3, my mom, Daughter #2, my adopted big sister, and my step-dad:

                              This is Daughter #2, Son #1, Son #3, me and Daughter #3.  I look like a                                             midget. 


                                   This is Son #3 and me:



                 This is Son #3, at his party, with his wonderful-tasting cake:


      So ..... I am done with this day.

It was difficult ..... but I made it.  As did Son #3.

We have survived.

And that is good.

10 comments:

Mom said...

Good evening my darling daughter.
It was a beautiful and touching day. We are so glad we could be there with you all. We love you so much.

Mary Lou said...

Janine, I would have cried along with you had I been in the congreation. I knew you would survive, because there was way too much prayer for you and the family and He hears and answers prayers. You are truly blessed with great friends. May today be a good day for you. You have a very nice looking family. The boys favor you so much...very good looking. Praying and hugs. Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

You must be so proud. I'm glad you were able to make it through. Your pictures turned out so nice. Everyone in your family is so photogenic!God bless your day.
Amy A.

elliebelle said...

I'm glad your day went well... even though it was difficult. You have such a beatiful family! And, thank you for explaining what it means to be confirmed... I was not quite clear on that before and was touched after reading your explanation ~ beautiful!

Carrie said...

Wow, with my first being only one, I can't imagine being in your stage of parenting, watching your last child be confirmed. I'm sorry that it was a hard day, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy time with friends and family later in the day. Hope your busy day is going well today!

Tri-Vet said...

I was one of the congregation crying and I totally wasn't expecting that and did NOT wear waterproof make-up so had it running down my face. I asked son#2 for a kleenex and he pulled one of the napkins out of the bottom of the bowls for used communion cups! Thank you for sharing the pictures, they are very good. His cake is gorgeous, who made it? My heart is happy and sad for you at the same time, but more happy than sad. Love, M

Leslie said...

I think it is so amazing that your kids look exactly like you and exactly like Jim at the same moment, and yet I have never thought you and Jim looked that much alike.

What a day for Connor. A milestone for all of you. And an extra bonus to see A and M in your pics. What a fine family. Wish I could have been there to witness the event...such an important one. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Love all the pictures! How wonderful to be surrounded by friends and family. Glad to hear you survived and were able to celebrate.

Love ya,
Julie

Kim said...

We felt blessed to be included in Conner's special day. We love you. We love Conner. and K,L,S,P,W very much.
Thank you for being with me today. You are a very special friend. I love you, K

Unknown said...

I cried!!! It was very moving to see everyone up there praying over Conner. I prayed along with you :) BTW I love Daughter #3s hair!! It really looks great!