
Happy Wednesday, Peeps.
It's been a day.
I woke up late and so was racing around to get ready to get to the doctor's office (it's an hour long drive).
D#1 and J went with me today. We made it on time ... I wish I could say the same for my doctor, who was running an hour and a half behind.
Why is it that doctor's offices don't call you on days like this so that you can take your time and get there a bit later? What's up with that?!
Anyway, he finally came back and gave me the news that I expected ..... he's happy with the tumor (no growth) and happy with the healing (which is continuing). No signs of cancer. He wasn't happy with the fact that I'm still having pain and can't do the things I could do before the surgery by now (like tennis) so he's going to set me up with the Pain Management Team there at the hospital. So we shall see if they can come up with anything.
So, yes ... it was a good visit, good news ..... but again, I didn't expect anything different so I wasn't really doing the happy dance. I was just ready to go home, I guess.
We left there and ran by a store to which I had a gift certificate, which was nice because I was able to buy a wedding shower gift (I'm having the shower at my house this weekend).
Then we headed home and I headed to bed for a nap. I slept for only an hour today (set my alarm), but woke up feeling more down than up. Another wave, I guess. I can't explain them ... why they hit, when they hit .... just that they hit. And sometimes they hit very, very hard.
Why can't someone invent a "happy pill"? Not a pill for depression that just makes you feel "flat" rather than depressed, but a pill that makes you feel happy? Maybe that's what cocaine is? Not sure .... never tried it. But I think there should be a legal medication that makes me feel happy.
Think how much money you'd make, Peeps, if one of you invented that!!
Please let me know if you do, OK?
And now .... on to the questions:
Nat asks:
My question is how is your brother M doing since his deployment? Are you able to talk with him or e-mail?
Hi Nat ...... M hasn't left for Iraq yet. He leaves around September 20th. I hope that we'll be able to e-mail, but I haven't asked him that yet. Maybe he'll read your question and answer it for both of us.
I know that all of my Peeps will keep him and my sister-in-law K, and my lovely nieces K and M in their prayers.
Saundra asked/commented:
Do you know about T Carolyn's on 1960 near or in the Champions? They have some really nice dresses.
Hi Saundra,
I'd never heard of that store, though did get an e-mail from another friend (hi A!) about it today, too. J did find a dress yesterday and she doesn't have a lot of time to order one anyway. The wedding is Oct. 10. But I will definitely keep that store in mind when it's my turn (if the swim suits and grass skirts don't win the vote).
Anon asks:
What is your favorite Shakespeare play? Why? What is your favorite musical? Why? What is your favorite female character in a movie or play? Why?
Wow Anon .... you ask a lot of questions!!! Great job on distracting me!!!! : )
And they're not easy ones, either. As for my favorite play .... I actually have 3 .... all of them comedies (of course): "Much Ado About Nothing", "The Taming of the Shrew", and "As You Like It". I love the wit in them .... and would probably say that "The Taming of the Shrew" would be my favorite.
As for my favorite musical ..... I am a huge sucker for "Wicked". Loved it the first time I saw in on Broadway the first year in its run ...... and the second, and the third, which was in Houston. I love the music, the 2 main female characters, their love for each other, the passion, the set .... I just love it.
My favorite female character? That's a very tough question. The answer would depend upon whether I was watching the play, or acting in it. I love playing "bad girls" .... always have. Give me Scarlet O'Hara over Melanie Wilkes any day of the week. So much more interesting to play. I loved Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl" and in "What's Up Doc?" I also loved Madeline Kahn in "What's Up Doc?"
Katharine Hepburn gets my vote in most of her movies ..... "The Philadelphia Story", "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "Bringing Up Baby" being 3 of my favorites.
Kristen asks:
my question is: our daughter is starting preschool next monday... do you have any advice to help her transition (or to help us not to freak out too badly?)
Hi Kristen ... how exciting!! And that's exactly how I would handle it. I was always more excited for my kids when they started something new and tried to pass that on to them. I knew they'd have a blast and make new friends and learn so many new things ..... I just talked it up to them. If you're excited, she'll be excited. Try not to let her see that you're feeling a little freaked. It's a new phase and she'll have so many fun things to tell you about when she comes home. If you can focus on that you'll find that it will be easier .... on all of you.
God's blessings .... you'll have to let us know how it goes!!!
Gail asks:
You may have explained or talked about this before but I'm curious - are you living in the same house that your kids grew up in? Were they all born in the Houston area? Also - I love Gabby. Do you have any regrets about getting such a big dog? Does she still sleep in a different room than you? I know, nothing too earth shattering or world changing, just "inquiring minds want to know".
Hi Gail,
We lived in another house in this community and moved to our current house when Son #3 was 3. D#1 and S#1 were born in Tulsa, D #2 & D #3 were born in Chicago and the two youngest were born here. We had two born in each state .... which also explains why we never moved again.
As for Gabby, I really don't regret getting her (except for the dog hair). She's so calm and laid back ..... just loves being around people and feeling loved. She sleeps in her crate, which is in another room downstairs. I couldn't stand the snoring. And the game room has much more room for her huge garage/crate than does my room.
I would highly recommend this breed to anyone .... even someone who just had an apartment. They require very little room, especially outside, since they are basically couch potatoes and don't like running around and exercising very much.
Carrie came in at the last minute (literally!) with her question:
Alright...hmmm...of course I'm too tired to think of anything good... any advice for how to ease my toddler into being the 'big brother'? My son will be just turning two when the baby's born, and I've had some people tell me not to pick him up as much, etc. to get him used to the fact that he's not the center of the universe any more. :) So...any tips? :) Thanks! and if this is too late, next week is fine. :)
Hi Carrie ..... I'm glad that you made it under the wire!
As for easing him into being a big brother .... I really don't know how possible that is. You could get him a baby doll and show him how to hold it, love on it and talk about how one day the baby in your tummy will come out and he'll be able to hold him/her just like that baby doll. Don't be surprised when he starts putting the doll, or his favorite stuffed animal, under his shirt so that he,too, has a baby in his tummy. Just be sure to take lots of pics.
As for not picking him up a much ..... I say pick him up as much as you want to and as long as you can physically do it. He will find out all too soon that he has to share your love, which is not a bad thing at all, I don't think you need to make him feel that way before it's time, but that's just my opinion. Cherish every moment you've got with your only child. Again, it's not the end of the world .... not his, not anyone's, when the baby comes. Your heart will grow even bigger, as will his, although he'll have more of an adjustment to make. My kids always did very well when it came to bringing home a new baby ..... even D#1, who went from an only to having 2 that got the attention of everyone wherever we went. He may surprise you and have not one moment of jealousy or anything negative. Then again, he may be quite normal and need some extra mommy-time when you can give it.
Don't push it. Don't stress about it. It's normal. He'll survive. And he'll be better for it, in my opinion.
OK, Peeps ...... it's time for me to hit the hay. I'm playing tennis tomorrow and hoping that #1. I can play a decent game and #2. My hip won't scream at me all day afterwards.
Also, Son #3 has his first high school football game tomorrow!! He's on the starting team (defense, I believe). I'm looking forward to cheering him on. Hopefully I'll remember to take my camera and post some pics.
Have a good Thursday!!!
3 comments:
Thank you once again for answering my question & making me feel SO much better - your answer made me cry, because it was so sweet. I just quit my job, so I'm trying to cherish every moment- but now my problem is that when we're home, I feel like I should be WORKING on something tangible, not just playing - I need to get over that, I know. :) Anyway, thank you for your answer!
It is powerful to see how God used her question and your answer to bring a blessing to Carrie's life. Looks like love in action.
JB
My husband leaves the same day as your brother :) I will be saying prayers and hopefully it will be a quick and eventless deployment.
Post a Comment