... and I'm glad that I was able to spend the day with 5 out of my 6 children.
Daughter #1 spent 2 hours on a tarmac today so by the time she flew into Houston (after about 10 hours) she was too pooped to come meet us at the lake. I was hugely disappointed, especially because Daughter #2 had planned to return to her home tomorrow.
But she has now pushed that back until Tuesday, so tomorrow I will have a little time with all 6. I can't wait.
Today the two boys and I came up to the lake with my sister and Gabby after church. My brother came later in the afternoon, as did did D2, D3 and S1 (from camp ... they are now done for the summer). About an hour after we arrived here 12 teenagers descended upon us for the day.
It was a bit of a zoo but it was a fun zoo. Of course since we hadn't been here all summer everything needed to be charged. So it took about an hour to charge the jet skis and longer to charge the boat. But the water became too choppy by the time the boat could be fully charged so we gave up on that.
The kids were great sports. They jumped from the dock, jumped (and then broke) the rope swing on the dock, then sent one of them climbing up to the top of the plank that the rope swing is tied to, and he tied it back on ...... while I held my breath and prayed for a non-tragic ending.
I think we captured most of this on film so I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow.
My mom and D came down loaded with brisket, potato salad and baked beans (and Gabby and Sassy) and Sons #1 and #3 grilled burgers.
The kids rode the jet skis for hours and then ate and ate and ate. I think I can safely say that they all had a good time. It was nice for me to watch them have fun.
I have a like/hate relationship with this house now. It's so much of Jim that it's difficult for me to be here. But today it was different because it was a new memory and because this great group of kids had a blast just being together.
And so life goes on.
It was wonderful to just sit and talk with the older kids tonight. We talked about my past week and they were so supportive of me that I thought I'd cry.
I really do have the best kids ..... even if I do say so myself!
My daughters have been great through all of this and understand what I've been going through. They find it as difficult as I do to understand how I can lose friends over how I should or should not be healing ..... and how I write about it on the blog. I've tried to always write about my feelings, my inadequacies, my challenges ...... MY healing, but some people can't read it as I intend it ...... about me, not about them (I have never intended to hurt anyone with what I write .... only to get MY feelings out of me so that I don't explode sometimes).
And while this caused me a lot of pain during this past week (during the past few months), today I really laid it at God's feet. I love these people ..... and I always will. I can NEVER repay them for what they've done for me since Jim died (and before), but I can't make them change their thoughts of me. I'm still not even quite certain what horrible thing I did to cause them to cut me off, but I'm OK now. Sad, but OK.
And so .... life goes on.
And I've had so many wonderful e-mails and comments from friends here in my community, friends who live far away and friends in blog-land, that it's been overwhelming. Any time during the day when I thought that maybe I was going insane or had somehow been a horrible person, I'd get a comment, or an e-mail ..... or even a phone call ...... just when I needed it. And that, my Peeps, is God in action.
I don't always feel Him, but I see Him in those moments. And I see His love and care in that I never received one negative word (which made me feel a whole lot less insane).
I know that the pain and sadness are not over ..... but I also know I can't control it.
And so ..... life goes on.
And I will choose to listen to the positive voices and the words of love and the ways in which I am blessed.
I have more family and friends than I can count .... friends I've known for years, or for only months ...... and some friends that I may never meet face-to-face, but each one is a blessing.
So here's to each one of them ..... for all that they've done to help me in the past 20 months ... the ones who are here, the ones who have left .... and the ones I've yet to meet.
Thank you, Peeps ...... for encouraging me and helping me to remember that life, does indeed ..... go on.
: )
8 comments:
It sounds like a good day. Your daughters seem to be able to hear your heart in a very unique way, as they know your loss like no one outside your family.
JB
Glad to hear you will be with all of your family. I'm sad to hear about all that has been going on with friends, etc. You have to move on and do what you need to do to cope and move forward.
We got home yesterday from our trip. The girls had fun and we did too. We'll have to swap vacation stories sometime soon. I miss you.
AmyA.
Thinking of you at the lake with your kids, their friends, and your Mom, D., and sister and hearing you speak of the joy of making new memories is WONDERFUL. And I know the laughter and sharing brings joy to Jim as well. I'm so glad you can open up to the girls and let them be a source of strength and encouragement. They really are amazing young women. Then again, then have amazing parents!!
Love you, Vicki
And God's grace flows one to another...His joy, His Peace, His forgiveness, His understanding. You all together are a witness to His loving mercies & compassion.
JYBS
so glad you are having a good stay at the lake...how important to be able to make new memories...that old girl scout song just came to my mind, but with a twist..."make new memories, but keep the old. one is silver and the other gold."
so sorry about the troubles you've been having...gosh, when you're on vacation and you're not "plugged in" you miss a lot. Praying for a quick healing of these wounds. (or at least that the bleeding stops quickly so that healing can begin.)
i love you.
Janine,
OK...I realize this will sound absurd (especially b/c we've never met IRL, but I do actually feel like I've gotten to know you over the last 19 mos) but I feel guilty that the last two weeks got a bit crazy for me and I haven't checked your blog...and it seems that this may have been the time you needed the most support (except "right after" of course).
I think there are always people that make everything about themselves. I realize that it's human nature to see things from your own perspective...HOWEVER, if ANYONE sees any part of this journey as being about themselves and not you...then they are just not listening/watching.
I have not experienced the loss of a close friend or family member personally. But, my father-in-law passed away unexpectedly 90 days after my wedding. He and my husband were so close that he was the best man in our wedding. I had no idea how to be a wife yet much less how to be a support to my deeply grieving new husband. I did know enough, though...thankfully, that my "honeymoon" period had ENDED and it was no longer about me (or our brand new marriage)...it was ALL about my husband and his family (mom especially)...and I expected no more and didn't take it personally (however I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I grieved the loss of getting to be a "newlywed"...but that was the journey God put us on and fighting that was not only unproductive but unhealthy and would probably only had lead to the demise of my new marriage. Which by the way, is now almost 8 years strong and truly a blessing from God...He could not have made a better man for me!)
Anyways, that was a (VERY! sorry!) longwinded way of saying that if someone truly wants to be a support system during a time of grief (or probably any hardship, actually) then they must be willing to do it *with no strings attached*.
Secondly, I don't pretend to know the details of your new extended family, but...who cares what titles you put on your relationships??? If they are healthy, supportive, and a source of joy...then anyone who loves you should be supportive and happy about that relationship...anything else just doesn't make sense to me...
Finally, (and I realize this is about you not me!) but I am sorry that I was AWOL over the last couple weeks when I would ordinarily have lent my support. I think you know however that you always have my prayers whether I've read the day's blog or not!
Blessings,
LG
I love you Janine.
H had a great time too! Thanks for opening your lake house to them.
Post a Comment