Saturday, August 22, 2009

Silent-ish Saturday

So today was a quiet day.
So quiet that I haven't gotten out of my p.j.s and it's now 9:38 p.m.

Daughter #3 went back "home" this morning. I miss her (and D#2) very much.

The rest of the kids and I stayed home today ..... just relaxing and hanging out around here.

Almost 4 tear-less days ..... if you don't count the tears that came with the visit with the therapist, which I don't count.

That was a very good visit. I like her very much. I always have.
And she validated me so much yesterday that I felt so much better than I had in a long time.
She sees how much I've "healed", and yet how much I have ahead of me.
She loves the relationship I have with A & M ..... so much so that she said that they are very blessed to be doing this with me ...... as I am to be doing this with them. She was surprised, because of how rare it is, but very, very pleased with it ...... and said that of course more widows should have relationships like this. More widows should feel the security and protection that I feel in this relationship. In fact, she had worried about me not feeling protected the last time we met. But she's amazed by what the 3 of us have (and our children) and how wonderful it is.
She also validated the other changes in my life over the past few weeks .... and how good it is for me to move forward.

So, needless, to say, I felt very validated after my visit with her .... and look forward to seeing her again.

I also started reading the book "Boundaries" today, because I'm going to be co-leading it as a Bible study this Fall at church.
It. Is. Amazing.
I've heard a lot about this book over the last several years ... and know the theme of it, but every single page spoke directly to me today ..... and to the choices that I've made over the past couple of weeks.
And to the guilt I've felt over my past when I feel like I'm not pleasing people.
And to the growth I've felt over getting past that guilt.

I'm done with guilt .... I hope.
One day at a time.

I'm working on it it.
My Mom and D came into town yesterday and met the kids and me for a movie. It was a pretty long movie and by the time it was over the kids and I had to get back for evening plans that I had made.
The "before me" would have felt tons of guilt for not getting to spend more time with Mom and D ..... not because of anything they said or did, but just because of me and my expectations. I know she wouldn't want me to feel guilt over her. But I would've.
Yesterday, however, I worked really hard at not feeling that .... and knowing that I had done what I could do with my time that day. And while I wished we had more time, as did my mom, we'll just take whatever time we can get, when we get it. One day at a time.
Thankfully I have a mom who gets that and wants only the best for me. And is very patient and understanding with the changes in my life.
I love her .... a lot.

Daughter #1 and I have been hanging out, watching DVD's and drinking champagne this evening. No, we didn't have anything specific to celebrate, but thought, "What the heck?!" And so we celebrated the two of us .... watching a DVD, or 4.

So it's been a quiet-ish day.
Which I'm perfectly fine with.

That's it for now, my Peeps. Again, not so very interesting .... but sometimes that's a good thing.
I need more "dull" moments.


6 comments:

southeastcountrywife said...

I'm glad for you. Validation is very necessary, don't we know! :)

How bizarre that you are reading and blogging Boundaries...I have that very book sitting nearby, ready to be picked up any day now. I think the very same things you have got out of it will be the very same things that I will. You know some of my story and about my most problematic people...the talk of co-dependent relationships and what happens when you pull away from one (I saw this just flicking through) describes what happened to me to a T. So I was looking forward to what I might get from it--and now I'm looking forward to it even more. :)

Keep journeying and blogging! I've been a bit scarce and not really up-to-speed but I will be reading closer again now. Please forgive any clueless questions in the meantime! xox

Anonymous said...

A quiet day...sounds good. It was encouraging to hear what the therapist thought about widows & protection. Another confirmstion of those words from James 1:27, which another peep had referenced about a week ago: "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

A, of A & M

Mary Lou said...

Oh, a pj day...what wonderful days they are. Wonderful way to be relaxed. So, thankful that you have been validated. I can see how far you've come just from reading your posts...they show it. Is the book Boundaries by Townsend and Cloud? If so,I agree it is a very good book and I read it before and it really helped me learn to set boundaries. They really have some sound ideas that work and help to free us from guilt that me might otherwise have, especially with adult children, which yours are all rapidly becoming. So thankful that you have had some great days. May you have a great Lord's Day today...Prayers and hugs..Mary Lou

kdawnmartin said...

Yay for the dull moments when you need them, and sista...you need them. Love you tons!

bbeatley said...

Hi Janine...I just wanted to tell you I have signed up to begin the Boundaries class at our church that will start in a couple of weeks. I look forward to hearing your take on the book as well. I have already learned alot from just reading your blog....I know sometimes you may not feel like it, but your words, rather happy or sad, help alot of people. I don't know what you are going through each day of your life, but I am glad you are able to share with others to help them through their situations..

I hope you have a great week!

Bobbie

Janine said...

Kristy --- Yep, I think you'd get a lot of the same things as I will out of the book. I'd say definitely start reading it as soon as you can.
By the way, I've missed you. :)

A -- it was VERY encouraging to hear what she had to say about our relationship. And how healthy she thought it is ... and blessed we all are because of it and the example it sets for others.
I am very blessed indeed.

Dawn ---I love you ..... and can't WAIT to see you in a little over a month!!!

Bobbie --- thank you so much for your encouragement. I look forward to the study and everyone else's take on the book, too. And I look forward to learning from everyone else and the things they learn from this book.

Mary Lou -- Yes, that's the book. It hadn't occurred to me to look at it in regards to my adult children, so thank you for the reminder. I think that's an excellent reference ..... one I need to consider.