Thursday, September 3, 2009

..... or Maybe Not.

Well, who knows when the next "Ask Me Whatever-Day-of-the-Week-It Is" will be? It's now closing in on 11:30 p.m. and I'm too drained to start a long post.

Today was a better day .... even with 2 calls with the counselor and probably one more tomorrow. At least I knew what was coming and wasn't caught off guard, as I was yesterday.

I went to work this morning (most always a good distraction from the crap in my life), then watched a little tennis late this afternoon, then went horse back riding this evening ... something I haven't done in a long time. I used to ride a lot when I was a teenager .... my best friend's family owned a riding stable and so I have mucked out my fair share of stables, brushed and cleaned my fair share of horses .... and even did a fair amount of barrel racing. All for the love of horses. So tonight brought back some good memories.

Tomorrow morning I head to Dallas to go visit Son #1, who will be house sitting for one of my "new sisters". And .... I just found out today that Daughter #2 and #3 will be coming tomorrow night, too! I am SO excited to have some away time with the 3 of them.

On the home front ... Son #3 had his 2nd football game tonight ...... and they WON!!! 44-12!!!
Son #3 made 5 sacks!
So .... there you go .... a little brag time.

OK, that's it. Thanks for the prayers, Peeps. Please keep them coming. I need to have a few relaxing days this weekend .... to have nothing to worry about (my Mom is coming to stay with the two Sons ..... thank you, Mom!), and to just be able to enjoy some down time ---- please, God.

Good night, Peeps ...... and I shall leave with you a question ....... if we let our children listen to a speech made by our president (whether we agree with him or not) ..... are we politically indoctrinating our children?!!

Discuss amongst yourselves ........





8 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope this weekend is restful for you, Janine.

You had to ask that question, didn't you? I just don't know. I saw the news article that President Obama was going to be addressing the nation's school children. I just don't know, but I know that for some reason it makes me a little bit uneasy.

purejoy said...

it of course depends on what he (or she, HA! i'm a forward thinker!) has to say.
what i find offensive is not the what can you do for your country (appropriate) but what can you do for barak obama??
i'd keep my kids home. in light of the political climate and all the deceit and lack of transparency (ie hypocracy) i don't think any appearance by him in our schools (via giant feed) is completely off-base and frankly, offensive.

Mary from VA said...

I think it depends on the age/maturity of the children. I probably wouldn't let my 5th grader listen, but I would probably let my 11th grader listen. And I know it will be recorded and replayed, so I could always let the 5th grader listen once I had a chance to preview it.

elliebelle said...

I will not allow them to listen without previewing first. I need to call and see if our school will be broadcasting as we will be keeping our children home Tuesday, if that is the case.

Maddy said...

I don't trust a president who had worked so hard to cram stuff down our throats so quickly to give a "get a good education" speech. From all I've read it's about how to help HIM succeed as president and no, I'm not okay with that. Also, my son is only 8. It would be more appropriate for a poly sci class in 11th or 12th grade but not for my 3rd grader. I just can't and don't trust him. Sad but true.

As for you, I hope you have a very wonderful weekend and that things seem to settle down soon. You need as much "normal" as you can get and it sounds like you've had too little of that lately!

Go Pokes!!!!

Anonymous said...

In our county the school system is forcing the teachers to participate in this, they have no say in the matter. Parents do have the option to pull their children out or sit in. There is just something unsettling about this whole thing. You can encourage kids to stay in school and excel without having a whole program set up by and around the President. My children are not in the government school system, so they will not be watching.

Beth in NC

Shelly said...

I struggle with this question. On the one hand, Obama does not represent my worldview and so I am not interested in him influencing my children. On the other hand, he is our President and I want my kids to show proper respect to the authorities in their lives (that is biblical). Keeping them home from school or refusing to let them see his speech seems to, in some ways, indicate a lack of respect. On the third hand (if that is possible), kids aren't able to process information like adults and my tendency would be to err on the side of caution. Thankfully, I won't have to make this decision because the school system where we are at has chosen not to show it.

Carrie said...

This is kind of scary - I hadn't heard too much about it, since I don't have kids in school yet, but the thought of Obama specifically making a speech to my child without allowing me to be involved is rather scary, as several people mentioned, he doesn't share my worldview. Just another reason to keep seriously considering homeschooling (although I have 4 years until kindergarten still). :)