I had an idea yesterday.
Yes .... everyone should pay attention since I don't get them all that often.
What can I say .... it was a banner day (it really was because I saw Iron Man 2 and it was so much fun!).
Anyway, before I digress on the wonderfulness of Robert Downey, Jr, a man I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with ..... oops, I'm digressing ....
I had a reader e-mail me the other day (hi, L) and ask about what books I would recommend for someone who had recently been widowed.
I'm always humbled when someone contacts me in such a case. It breaks my heart to hear of new people on this road, but I'm also glad that my grief can be of some help to someone else, whether it's someone dealing with grief themselves, or someone who's wondering how best to help a loved one through this.
I'm thankful that Jim's death and my grief aren't "wasted" .... that I can support someone else in some small way.
Anyway, I gave her a short list of books that I liked. I must also add here that I didn't ..... couldn't ..... read anything for at least 6 or 9 months. I hated that growing stack of books that people kept adding to. But I was grateful for it later.
So ..... back to my original idea ..... I wanted to ask all of the Peeps out there who've gone through grief, especially those who've been widowed ..... were there any books, DVD's, web sites, CDs, etc. that helped you?
I have recommended For Widows Only by Annie Estlund and Widow to Widow by Genevieve Davis Ginsburg.
My very favorite book is Healing After Loss, by Martha Whitmore Hickman. It's like a devotional book with short readings for each day of the year. But it's not overly "religious" at all. I usually keep a few copies on hand to give to new widows when I meet them. That's how I got it .... from another widow. Everyone I know who's read it loves it.
For web sites I recommend The Widows' Voice website: http://widowsvoice-sslf.blogspot.com
It's a blog that I write on one day a week (there are 7 of us who each have a day) and it gives you other women (and men) to connect with.
That will lead to the Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation web page, http://www.sslf.org, and they have some great programs. We are getting ready to have the 2nd annual Camp Widow in San Diego in August. I highly recommend it to anyone if they can go.
So ..... Peeps, can you please add to this list so that we can all see what's out there that has helped someone?
You don't have to be widowed to help me out here. Many of you have experienced the death of someone close to you .... a child, a parent, sibling, friend, etc. If you found something that helped you or a loved one then please let us know what it was.
I'd appreciate it very much .... as would many other people.
I promise.
Happy Wednesday, Peeps.
And thank you.
:)
5 comments:
you recommended another book sometime ago, I can't find my copy right now, but I believe it was "solace, finding your way through grief" orsomething very close to that. i purchased a copy after you recommended it and really liked that one as well. My favorite however is also Healing After Loss; I am almost to my second year mark and still read it daily.
I'm reading Healing After Loss now. I could only read it now after I have started to embrace healing. The Shack and Believe Now by Jennifer Silvera were pretty much the only books I could read those first couple of months. I keep saying that I should read them again, since I don't remember much of those months. Widows wear Stilletos helped with the basics.
I really liked Seven Choices: Finding Daylight After Loss Shatters Your World by Elizabeth Harper.
Plan B by Pete Wilson.
Thanks again for the great suggestions, Janine! My niece has been away from home, so I haven't sent them to her yet, but I will very soon. Truly, I appreciated so much you taking the time to help.
I can relate somewhat to what you said about how you are glad that your experience allows you to help others (on a much different scale, of course). Ten years ago, after the birth of my son, I went through PPD. For a long time I was just so disgusted and discouraged that I was dealing with that on top of everything else. I joined a support message board and one day a mom came on and posted that she was considering suicide. I saw it and posted a heartfelt response and she later came back to say that my words had pulled her back from the edge. At that moment I realized that everything I had gone through was worth it if just to help that one person. We never know where our paths may lead us.
I have made note of everyone else's suggestions, too. Thank you!! I hope you have an absolutely wonderful time in Greece - you deserve it!
Post a Comment