UPDATE: I received two questions right after I posted "Ask Me Wednesday" so I'm going to add them here:One was from Cici, asking me what the above picture is. It's Son #3, taken when we were in Rome for Christmas of 2005. He had his sweatshirt on his head, and I told him he looked like a nun so he posed as one. I took the picture and have used it ever since for Wednesdays, because he looks like he's asking God for something .... and because I think he's pretty dang cute. :)
The next question is from TnL'sMommy:
How was your trip to the fair? I know the weather hasn't been the greatest here lately (I live in Tulsa). What is your favorite foods besides the mentioned fried Twinkies? What else do you do at the fair?
Hi there to a Tulsa person!! The trip was great and the weather was superb the day we went (Saturday). It started raining the next morning so we were grateful we had gone the day before. I heard that it was supposed to rain all the next week.
My favorite fair foods are cheese dogs (as opposed to corn dogs .... just cheese on a stick, dipped in corn dog batter and fried) and corn on the cob. I always have to have one of each. I skipped the Twinkie this year because I had just finished the cheese dog and couldn't stuff another bite in. My sister always gets fried pickles, which sound gross but are actually pretty good, especially when dipped in the ranch dressing.
This year I had fried mac and cheese but gave it a so-so rating. I also had some good ice cream, though I usually don't have that. I'm more of a salt person that one who goes for sweets.
Do you go to the fair? If so, what do you eat?
Happy Wednesday, Peeps.
Today is an easy question day .... only 2 people and 3 questions.
I hit the tennis courts this morning .... and lost. Something is missing in my game ...... and it's the thing called "fun". I'm not sure what's going on but I'm debating on taking a tennis vacation for a while. I have a match tomorrow and am waiting to see how that goes.
The funny thing is, I thought that if I ever had to quit playing tennis I'd be crushed. But I don't feel that way at all. I guess it's just a different stage of life right now.
So stay tuned ..... I hope that it goes well tomorrow and that we win. Then I won't have to make a decision. We'll see.
Well, it's 9:30 p.m. and my home has been invaded by Halo-playing teenage boys so I'd better answer the questions and make sure they all leave at a decent time. Wish me luck.
2 Questions from Susan:
Yay Mean Mom! Here's my AMW question...at what age can one start to become "mean mom"?(no, not your age...it's never nice to ask a lady her age...i mean child's age.)My 8 year old frequently causes us grief in the mornings, and much gnashing of teeth...plus just about makes her brother late, even though he's been ready for 10 minutes...but i'm thinking she's a bit too young for the "walk to school" gig. One time i did make dad and brother go and told her i'd take her when i was ready to leave, about 20 minutes late. didn't seem to phase her.
second, but related, question. how does one keep the "mean mom" fall-out from affecting the other child(ren)? a few weeks ago i told the kids we could go to a movie. b knows she cannot eat popcorn (braces, at age 8), so she wanted to buy candy at the counter ( a definite NO in my book)...i said we weren't going to buy popcorn either, since it wasn't fair that she couldn't eat it (her favorite food) she threw a tantrum, so i said we didn't have to go. son (age 10) nearly in tears. i gave her 5 minutes, after which i said we would not go because it would be too late for the movie. at 4:59 she relented and we went. i wanted to just leave her at home and take him, but figured CPS might not like that (they may in fact frown upon mean mom). any thoughts?
Hi Susan,
Well, in short .... it's time for you to be a Mean Mom. I'm not sure there's an age limit or start time. You really need to kick it in around 18 months when the "Terrible Twos" really start.
I don't think B is too young to ride her bike to school. If it makes you feel better you could follow her in the car, but my kids rode their bikes at her age (and also did their laundry and the dishes).
As for the fall-out on the siblings ..... try to minimize that as much as possible. If she has a tantrum, and you threaten to take her home and she still continues, you go home. But as soon as you can, you take M to see that movie without her. Meaning as soon as you can get a sitter, or have her stay home with dad .... that's exactly what you do. She will pitch a huge hissy fit, but I bet the next time you threaten to not let her see the movie she'll shape up much quicker. So the sibling's fun may have to be put off for a time, and no, that's not fair, but you definitely make it up to him as soon as you can.
Nat said...
If this is too personal, feel free to delete.
Have your parents always been so cordial to one another and each other's spouses since they divorced?
I am amazed that you have get togethers with your parents and stepparents so easily.
Is it awkward at times?
Hi Nat,
Ummmmmm, that would be a big fat NO. It's only been in recent years that they've been able to be comfortable in each other's company. I dare say that Jim's death helped that along, too. His death changed a lot of people.
In fact, this weekend was the first time that one couple had been to the other couple's home and it was a bit emotional for my sister (who's emotional at the drop of a hat anyway). I wrote on my Facebook wall that it was nothing short of a miracle that we were all together for breakfast.
And it was fun. We had a good time. They had a good time.
It's high time.
It used to be awkward. Heck, it used to be painful, let alone awkward. But .... everyone grows up (hopefully) at one time or another and realizes that life is too damn short for the crap we bring to it.
My parents have done a good job of realizing that and I'm proud of all 4 of them.
And I love them all the more for it.
OK, Peeps ..... that's all for tonight. I have to go be mean and tell the boys to turn down the obnoxiously loud Halo game. Why is it they have to play that at 1 million decibels?!! Is it not as fun if the sound doesn't shake the house?
Sleep well, Peeps and have a good Thursday.

2 comments:
I always forget to ask...but what is the picture on your "Ask Me Wednesday" posts?
Fried pickles!!! YUM! Hey Janine....Two weeks from today and we will be DOWN TOWN!!!! Cannot wait! Hope you have a great Friday and i can't wait to see the pics from our weekend! Love you! Oh and GO POKES!!!!
Post a Comment